EXIT Realty truly is a different way to do Real Estate

EXIT Realty truly is a different way to do Real Estate

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Dead Chickens

There is something I have learned about living in the country surrounded by the beautiful Bitterroot Mountains...Something that is not very glamorous. Dead animals....everywhere. Whether by mother nature herself or at the hands of my mountain man hunter. Which reminds me of a loss that I incurred not very long ago. Dead Chickens. 10 to be exact, eaten by my two dogs. It was my first experiment with starting my hobby farm and will forever be known as "The Great Chicken Massacre of 2011." Of course this all went down while I was in the hospital giving birth to my sweet baby boy.Reflecting on my dead chickens that I so lovingly cherished (thank goodness my Husband did NOT let me name them) brings me to a saying that I have never heard before and that quite frankly had me appalled. "A downed horse is a dead horse." Clearly Montana life has me in a bit of shock and awe. Ranch and farm life (even for the hobby farmer) can be very harsh. That is why I have this silly look of awe and reverence for the rancher that comes into our favorite watering hole with (yes they actually do wear them) spurs on and his holstered Smith and Wesson. Even my valley girl thick skull can, like, learn a lesson from this experience. 1. There is no life without death and 2. Just like horses when we are downed for too long we die.Not to be overly morbid but with all my friends, family and acquaintances going through financial, relational and spiritual trouble it can be so easy to be downed. Down for the count. Down and out. Down and dirty...ok that one doesn't count. BUT you get the point. We must keep trudging on for the sake of our family and for ourselves.You know what I'm going to do this spring? Buy more chickens.P.S. Country girl tip: Australorps are very hardy chickens and can withstand very cold climate.

2 comments:

  1. Great article! :) A little perspective for those that just don't understand! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to Montana Madison!! I too was in culture shock when I moved here 20 years ago! I had to laugh at your blog, I so understand what your saying as I was a Ca girl also. I too also had to try my hand at raising chickens, believe it or not I ordered mine through the mail from mypetchicken.com, I had absolutely no idea what i was doing, it said min order was 15, so i thought that didn't sound like to many, after all Gary was looking forward to the eggs, when i got the call from the post office at 5am to come pick up my package right away I thought good lord cant they wait until 9am at least to call! Much to my surprise when i arrived at the post office I was amazed at how much noise these little birds could make, from the sounds of it I thought man i hope my car is big enough to hold what I'm hearing! I went to the window and they handed me a shoe box that was out of control!! I took it home and was terrified to open it (forgot to tell you I have a fear of chickens)I went to my sons room and told him you have to get up and open this box, I'm scared! He opened it up and there they were all 17 of them...yep 17, they said one to two always die in transport so they throw in a couple of extra....well not my batch, all 17 healthy and hungry! First rule in Mt is your chickens will not last if they are free range, you must put them in a pin with wire over the top to keep eagles, hawks, fox, mountain lions, owls, and other varmints out, including dogs. I did this and all of my chickens except one made it and within 6 months or so I was gathering up to 2 dozen eggs a day, I couldn't give them away fast enough....so long story short don't give up, chickens are a lot of fun and do develop personalities, you can let them free range in the day but really should pin them in at night for their safety. I don't recommend ordering 15 through the mail..haha! Welcome to Montana and just when you think you have seen it all you learn something new! Looking forward to meeting you someday, it was fun to reconnect with your mom and dad when they were here!!

    ReplyDelete